It's no wonder that when you ask most people to name their favorite time of year, it's the days that fall between November and January get mentioned the most. Thanksgiving. Hanukkah. Christmas. New Year's. All special days that make for wonderful moments while they are happening and memories that will never be forgotten.
But the best part about celebrating holidays with kids is not only the actual days themselves, but the lead up to them. Baking, decorating, caroling, shopping, wrapping -- all fun activities made even more enjoyable when you include a child. The Guides on the About.com Parenting Channel have come together to share their best ways to enjoy holidays with kids. From favorite movies to ways kids can get involved with the decorating, you are sure to find a host of ways to make your holiday season more special than it already is.
No matter what you celebrate, you are going to want to make it special for the whole family and all of your invited guests. Here's how.
- Winter Holiday Parties for Kids
- Mixed Blessings: Celebrating The Holidays in an Interfaith Family
- Make Thanksgiving Fun for Kids
- Celebrating Hanukkah with Kids
- Great Christmas Traditions for Dads and Their Families
- Christmas Parties to Throw for Kids
- Celebrating Kwanzaa with Kids
- New Year's History and Traditions
Whether you cut down your own Christmas tree every year or volunteer together in a soup kitchen, it's the traditions that are the foundation family holiday celebrations.
- Five Reasons to Observe Family Traditions
- Share Thanksgiving Stories With Children
- Find Time for Family Volunteer Service
- Handling the Holidays as a Non-Custodial Dad
- Holiday Decorating with Kids
- Before You Let Your Child Perform in a Holiday Program
- What to Say if a Child Asks, "Is Santa Real?"
- What Are Your Christmas-morning Must-Haves?
- How to Help Your Child Take a Photograph with Santa if She is Afraid
What Kids Can Learn from the Holiday Season
Of course the holidays are about fun, but there are also important lessons to be taught and learned.
- Manners for Kids of All Ages
- Thanksgiving Table Manners
- Teach Table Manners to Young Children
- Put a Stop to Holiday Greed in Children
- Help Kids Handle Holiday Stress
- Fun Christmas Facts to Teach Your Kids
- Before You Dress Your Child for the Holidays
While preparing for the holidays is certainly fun to do with kids, you also want to set aside some time to kick back and relax.
- Easy Thanksgiving Crafts
- Thanksgiving Table Games
- Top Christmas Movies for Kids
- Kids' Versions of 'A Christmas Carol'
- New 2010 Christmas Movies for Kids
- Free Holiday Printables
- Board Games for the Whole Family
- Where to Go on a Family Outing
- Christmas Activities for Families
For more, please check out the creative tips and useful resources in our About Family Holiday Survival Guide.